January 04, 2007

Allan Ramsay Statue

This is the statue to the Scots poet Allan Ramsay in West Princes Street Gardens. Ramsay is depicted standing with a book in his left hand and a pencil in his right. He has a plaid over his shoulder and is wearing a silk night-cap rather than a wig. Ramsay (1686 -1758) was an Edinburgh poet and publisher and involved in the early 18th century revival of Scots vernacular poetry. As a poet he is best remembered for his five-part work, 'The Gentle Shepherd'. The castle, as usual, provides a stunning backdrop.

8 comments:

An Honest Man said...

In talking of Scots Poets - It's January, it's Ayrshire - it must be Burns!

I've heroically kept off the subject in my blog so far, but expect some pictures this month.

You might see what references you can pick up in Edinburgh?

G Fraser said...

yep, have the burns statue in leith planned for the 25th!

Deb said...

such a dramatic photo! The colors are outstanding.

Oleanderman said...

Beautiful colours and shadows. Nice one.

Anonymous said...

Great picture Grant, I just love it!

While I'm here I thought I'd let you know that I have moved my site on to Wordpad, unfortunately that means it's time to update those links again.......sorry

South Shields Daily Photo

Anonymous said...

I would like to visit Edimbourg, and Scottland, in general.
A French from Provence.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture, great shot.

The Trusty Dwarf said...

Hello mate nice bblog