January 01, 2007

Lang May Yer Lum Reek!

A very Happy New Year to all visitors to Edinburgh Daily Photo. I wonder who will be my first foot on the comments page?? As it's Ne'erday, I should explain a few Scottish New Year traditions. One is first-footing...this is the first person who crosses your doorstep in the New Year. To bring luck, it should be a tall, dark handsome man...this stems from the fear of the blonde Viking raiders all those years ago. Second, when visiting someone's house, you would traditionally bring with you some whisky, shortbread and a lump of coal...this shows that you hope that the household will have enough to drink, to eat and that there will be enough warmth in the coming year. Bliadhana Mhath Ùr! Lang May Yer Lum reek!

10 comments:

Kate said...

I don't have whiskey or a lump of coal, but I come laden with good wishes for the new year, 2007.

Lisi said...

I'm definitely not blonde and I like the interesting traditions in your commentary...happy 2007!

edwin s said...

have a great new year Grant!

Gerald (SK14) said...

It could be next Saturday before we get first-footed! And you can't get coal for lover nor money these days. Sorry to learn the celebrations in Edinburgh were called off at the last minute.

All the best for 2007

Navito UK Shopping said...

Happy New Year to everyone in Scotland.

G Fraser said...

Yep, all the outdoor events got cancelled because of the gale force winds...I´ve been cheating with my posts as they were all pre-prepared as I´ve spent new year in frankfurt...very wet start to the new year but fun! This photo is what would have happened last night had it not been called off. However, I am sure most Edinburghers managed to enjoy the new year without much problem!

G Fraser said...

Kate thanks for first-footing...you´re not blonde are you??

Unknown said...

Happy New year!!

Candice and Megan said...

Happy New Year from Houston Daily Photo!

N Winton said...

Only a year late... but Happy New Year to you and yours!

Only 358 days till Christmas... are you excited yet?