August 09, 2006

Empty Offices


I've always hated this building. It was built to house the offices of Lothian Regional Council, but sat empty for a few years after the disbandment of the 12 regions into 32 local authorities in 1995. It came back to life as the temporary offices for the temporary Scottish parliament from 1999 until 2004, but since then they have been empty and unused. They may be loved more if they weren't in such a historic and sensitive part of the city, but having these monstrosities on the corner of the High Street and George IV Bridge in the heart of the Old Town was another disaster of 1970s town planning.
I'm back now from gallavanting around Europe again! Thanks Toyozo for publishing while I was away.

2 comments:

BondWoman said...

I couldn't agree more. I find that building even more offensive than the St James centre.

Christine McIntosh said...

I don't think even its mother could love this building.....