April 13, 2006

Sherlock Holmes


This statue of Sherlock Holmes is to be found by the Picardy Place roundabout close to the birthplace of its author, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Although Holmes solved crime all over London, Conan Doyle was in fact born in Edinburgh in 1859. He published his first Holmes story in 1887 and over the next 40 years, he wrote 56 short stories and 4 novels to do with Holmes and his sidekick Dr Watson. Just across the street from the statue is a pub called 'The Conan Doyle' - not a bad spot for a pint to rest your weary legs after a day's sightseeing.

7 comments:

Brian Dubé said...

Been re-watching the Sherlock Holmes series from the BBC on DVD, Brett the actor, the best Holmes I think. Nostalgic era, even for the crime, which is frightening and fascinating both, they way it is depicted...
Nice that they honor the fictional character with a statue...
L

midnitebara said...

I have the complete facsimile edition. Its so thick I have'nt finish reading it. One of my fictional characters,Sherlock!

Anyway, what did your japanese friends call you? "san" or "chan"?
I always blush when someone calls me by "chan", not used to it yet.

midnitebara said...

I mean one of my " favorite " fictional characters.Sherlock Holmes.

Nicola said...

Cool, Sherlock Holmes. One of my favorites as well. Like your picture - gives him a bit of a ghostly appearance :).

Lorethian said...

Ok, tell me Grant is the Pint cold or room temp?

Sorry from that point on in your story I lost track.

G Fraser said...

that rather depends on what you order lorethian - if you order a lager, it will always be chilled. if you order an ale, it will usually be flat and at room temperature. guinness is usually cold, and of course you can also order guinness extra cold.

Sam said...

In this picture he looks very ghostly - lovely shot!